Students learned firsthand the consequences of driving under the influence during a mock DUI crash on Thursday, April 14, staged at Portsmouth West High School, located on US HWY 52. This educational program is designed to create a realistic scene showing how alcohol- and drug-related traffic accidents can impact those involved.
This program coincides with
Written By: Trenton Cole and Derrek Carver
Photos By: Kristie Copley
The reality fair, sponsored by DESCO Federal Credit Union, was primarily to show the senior students at Portsmouth West High School and students in Mr. Doug Williams’ Economics classes, what adulthood will be like. This hands-on activity for the students showed,
ALL students entering 12th grade this August (this includes students attending SCCTC) must receive a Meningococcal (meningitis prevention) immunization. This immunization must be administered PRIOR to entry into 12th grade AND proof of such received at the high school (SCCTC staff will notify our high school of any immunization records received at SCCTC).
Congratulations to the Mock Trial team for competing at state on Friday. The prosecution side won its match against Logan. The defense tied West Jefferson and then lost by one point. West placed in the top 18 teams in the state this year and had five trial wins overall and 10 outstanding awards. Whitney Campbell received Best Attorney award and Jordan Willis won Best Witness.
Any junior or senior that will be attending the prom on April 21st needs to sign the grand march list in the office.
After Prom early bird registration will begin on March 21 during lunch. Students purchasing early bird tickets will receive a free t-shirt. The tickets are $15.00 each.
The Key Club would like to say congratulations to Mrs. Ginn's first period. They were the winners of the donut party with the 171 items they donated. We would also like to say a big thank you to all who gave. We collected over 400 items total. When everyone gives a little, together we can accomplish a lot!
All Beta Club payments need to be turned in to Mr. Smalley by the end of school today. This includes new membership and those going to the convention.
Seniors – April 4th is the deadline for “in-house” scholarships
For safety reasons, please adhere to the following policies:
1. Do not open exterior doors for anyone (this includes other students, visitors, adults, or staff). Please find a staff member If someone is at the door.
2. During school hours, enter and exit through the front door only.
3. Classroom doors should remain locked at all times, do not leave a door “jammed” or “propped” open at any time.
4. Any information about threats or suspicious behavior should be reported immediately to school personnel or law enforcement.
1. There is to be no food or drinks in the classroom or in the hallways. This includes snacks, soda, energy drinks, etc… All food should be consumed in the cafeteria. Tumblers/Yetis are not permitted in the hallways or class.
2. Exterior doors will be closed at 8:10 am – students arriving after that time will need to enter the front doors. Classroom doors will be locked at 8:15, after that time students will need a tardy slip from the office to be admitted to class
last updated 3/12/18
*Note: Please understand the above listed athletic events are subject to change without prior notification. Announcements are updated regularly, but may not include the most recent changes and additions. Most JV basketball games start at 6 with varsity to follow at approx 7:30.
ALL SPORTS SCHEDULES:
Up-to-Date Information regarding all of PWHS sports can also be found by going to www.arbiterlive.com
Upcoming Important Dates